“A clean, healthful natural environment is critical to all life in Southwest Florida and to its economy. Southwest Florida’s natural environment is delicate, under immediate threat and we need to work hard to preserve it.”
David’s Plan for the Environment
- Work to stop harmful discharges from Lake Okeechobee and make the entire regional eco-system from the Kissimmee River to Florida Bay, including the Everglades, one that is environmentally healthful while supporting populations along the coast.
- Acknowledge climate change as a fact and prepare for its effects.
- Insist all federal agencies plan for how they are going to deal with climate change.
- Secure a consistent stream of funding to research, plan and implement a sea level rise solution.
- Make Southwest Florida the most resilient place in the nation, given the inevitability of extreme weather and climatic changes.
- Base our decision-making on facts and science and not on wishful thinking, ideology, or blind denial.
- Restore American membership in the Paris Climate Agreement.
- Support current efforts to mitigate pollution and purify the water flowing from Lake O, including the Comprehensive Everglades Restoration Plan (CERP). I also support all efforts to provide for the southward flow of clean, nourishing water for the Everglades from Lake O.
- Any solutions to the environmental problems of Southwest Florida must be regional and incorporate the input of all stakeholders. As a member of Congress, I will strive to bring everyone to the table to find comprehensive, long-term solutions to our environmental challenges
“Access to quality and affordable healthcare is a right, not a luxury and we need to fulfill that right.”
David’s Plan for Healthcare
- We are the richest country in history, quality health care is a right, not a luxury.
- Promote more options that give patients more options at lower costs like Senator Tim Kaine’s Medicare X plan.
- Protect laws like the ACA that seek to provide everyone with health insurance, particularly our seniors and those with pre-existing conditions.
- Work tirelessly to ensure quality healthcare for every American.
- Support, always, a woman’s right to make her own healthcare decisions without interference.
- Ensure Planned Parenthood and other Title X programs remain eligible for federal funding.
- Fight for continued funding for access to free or low-cost contraceptives.
- Ensure that seniors have access to affordable medications.
- Make sure that pharmaceutical prices are clear and accessible to all users.
“Hardworking families in Southwest Florida are under stress. Working full-time should allow everyone a secure, dignified life.”
David’s Plan to Protect Our Livelihoods
- Fight to defend Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.
- I promise never to take from the Social Security Trust Fund. Period.
- We never balance the budget on the backs of seniors and hard working Floridians.
- Francis Rooney voted against protecting Social Secuity, leaving vunerable $2.9 trillion meant for Americans’ retirements.
- Fight for full senior benefits and protections and oppose any cuts or reductions.
- Fight for every worker’s right to safe working conditions and a living wage.
- Create opportunities for young people and families to live and work in Southwest Florida.
- Stand in solidarity with our labor unions to protect and strengthen workers and their families.
- Support efforts to improve the business climate in Southwest Florida, especially for small business.
- Support our healthcare, retail, tourism, service and agricultural industries.
- Advocate for sane, sensible trade policies that don’t harm or penalize working Americans.
- Fight to put an end to the harmful toxic discharges from Lake Okeechobee, that put our jobs and livelihoods at risk.
“Public education is the foundation of our society. It led my family from poverty to the middle class. That’s the American Dream, and we have to defend and promote it.”
David’s Plan for Education
- Invest in and improve the public education system rather than undermining and weakening it.
- Support a living wage for our teachers and recognizing their contribution to society.
- Nurture and support the education of all children equally regardless of ability or disability, gender or orientation, race or background, national origin or immigration status.
- Protect the Department of Education from attempts to dismantle or abolish it.
- Ensure that taxpayer dollars go to public education and not private, for-profit or parochial educational institutions.
- Reduce the debt burden of students who pursue college, vocational, and advanced degrees.
- Reward a commitment to public service with scholarships and financial support.
- Support all legislation designed to deter, prevent and punish sexual assault in educational institutions at all levels.
- Work to secure federal funding for job training and education, particularly for working people who need to change careers to keep up with changing markets, particularly here in Southwest Florida
“I support the Second Amendment and I support more strongly the right of our children to go to school without the fear of being shot to death in front of their friends and teachers.”
David’s Plan for Ending Gun Violence
- David has been named a Gun Sense Candidate by Moms Demand Action, he will never accept National Rifle Association money.
- There are three actions we must take as a nation:
- Re-institute the assault weapons ban. Nobody—nobody—should have a weapon of mass murder that is designed for one thing only. Those weapons are for trained military and police personnel only.
- Reverse the Dickey Amendment completely. Allow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to fully research the effects of gun violence on communities and for them to make scientific recommendations for the best way to reduce gun violence.
- Repeal the shield from liability that the gun manufacturers enjoy. Few industries in this country have such protections. By removing that shield we can hold gun manufacturers legally accountable for their actions while encouraging safety innovations.
- Support the 10-point program of the Parkland Students, which consists of:
- Funding gun violence research;
- Eliminating absurd restrictions on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF);
- Conducting universal background checks;
- Banning high-capacity magazines;
- Limiting firepower on the streets;
- Funding intervention programs;
- Issuing extreme risk protection orders;
- Disarming all domestic abusers;
- Stopping gun trafficking;
- Requiring safe storage and mandatory theft reporting.
“When people volunteer to serve our nation in the military they are putting their lives on the line to protect our nation, its people, and our way of life. We have a sacred responsibility to provide support to their missions and to care for veterans and their families. We are failing to keep that commitment. I will work every day in Congress to support, defend, and improve care for veterans and their families.”
David’s Commitment to Supporting Our Veterans
- Our veterans have risked their lives for our protection and security and we must both show our gratitude and ensure that their efforts are rewarded.
- Support full benefits for veterans and oppose any cuts or reductions.
- The United States government must honor all its obligations and promises to veterans and I will work to ensure that it does.
- Improve the healthcare and services provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Work to end veteran homelessness forever, helping those struggling with mental health or substance abuse issues.
- Help veterans transition into the civilian workforce.
- Provide more support to military families who serve alongside their partners.
“The rights of women, people of color and immigrants are under a constant, daily attack from this Administration. Everyone in Southwest Florida and the United States deserves to be treated with respect and dignity. We must be unequivocal – these are our rights and we need representatives that will stand up for them.”
David’s Commitment to Human Rights
- As an ally and a partner, David will be on the frontlines fighting for gender and pay equity.
- Protect a woman’s right to make her own healthcare decisions without government interference.
- Fight for the right of all people to be free of sexual harassment in schools and workplaces.
- The grandson of immigrants, David will be a vocal advocate for our immigrant communities.
- Fight to keep Temporary Protective Status for our neighbors and stop the arbitrary revocation of these life-saving protections.
- Create a path to citizenship for our Dreamers and end the inhumane practices in detention centers.
- Strongly oppose and condemn the separation of families at the border – this is a completely man-made humanitarian crisis.
- Work to ensure that LGBTQ Americans can live a life without discrimination.
- Defend the rights of every American to serve their country regardless of their sexual orientation or national origin.
- Fight for strong workplace and housing discrimination protections for all Americans.