- In any discussion of taxes, we must always protect and fund programs for our seniors, especially Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. People who’ve spent a lifetime working hard and paying into those systems should not be denied the benefits they’ve earned.
- In general, I am very reluctant to have our government raise taxes. Raising taxes should always be a last resort and I will never vote for it lightly or without careful consideration. I do, however, recognize that there are times when taxes must be raised: to defend our nation, aid our seniors and most vulnerable populations, or support our infrastructure.
- I will always protect Florida’s special exemptions and benefits, like the homestead exemption.
- We cannot afford any more government shutdowns; we’ve seen what damage they do. I will always actively oppose government shutdowns and work with anyone who’s open to commonsense solutions to addressing our fiscal challenges.
- We must never risk default. I will do everything in my power to maintain the full faith and credit of the United States.
- Tax revenue is an investment in our nation. I will always make sure that every such investment is used wisely, carefully, and for its stated purpose.
- By the same token, I will do whatever I can to ensure that government spending stays within limits and that raising revenues is rare and only when needed to meet our obligations.
- Southwest Florida is uniquely dependent on the wealth of its natural ecosystem. I will always work to ensure that our ecosystem is clean and healthy.
- We must preserve the quality of our water, both fresh and on our Gulf shores.
- We need to implement as many measures as possible to prevent future unwanted releases of water from Lake Okeechobee into the Caloosahatchee River. I support current efforts to build reservoirs and improve the flow of water southward through the Everglades. I will fight for these improvements in Congress and ensure their full funding.
- I will actively monitor implementation of improvements to water management in Southwest Florida.
- We must protect our beaches, drinking water, and the natural environment that is critical to Southwest Florida’s life and economy.
- I oppose any fracking or oil drilling that may spoil our greatest tourism assets.
- I support a multi-region solution that addresses all aspects of pollution affecting Southwest Florida and I will work for federal support of that solution.
- I support restoration of the Everglades in a way that is sensitive to all interested parties and their needs.
- The growing challenges of climate change are real and were on full display in Southwest Florida during Hurricane Irma, affecting all our lives.
- Southwest Florida should be the most prepared region in the country, if not the world, for future environmental disasters.
- I will work to get federal support to strengthen Southwest Florida’s infrastructure and defenses against environmental pollution, sea level rise, and catastrophic acts of nature, whether from hurricanes, floods, or wildfires.
- I believe that access to quality and affordable healthcare is not a luxury but a fundamental right for all Americans. We need to protect that right.
- The Affordable Care Act (“ACA”) is a sound law, seeking to provide everyone with access to affordable, high-quality health insurance, particularly our seniors and those with pre-existing conditions.
- Where the ACA has weaknesses, it needs to be strengthened, repaired, and improved, not discarded.
- I oppose any attempt to subvert, attack and destroy affordable healthcare without any regard to the effect it has on people. I care who gets hurt as a result of those attempts!
- I believe constituents of the 19th District benefit from the ACA, especially for pre-existing conditions. I will serve you by continuing to examine, refine, and improve the law.
- Women deserve to make choices about their lives and we have an obligation to provide quality access to both services and information that make those personal choices possible.
- I support fully funding Planned Parenthood and Federally Qualified Health Centers as integral parts of our healthcare infrastructure.